The Building Act 1993 (the Act) governs building activity in Victoria. It sets out the legislative framework for the regulation of building construction, building standards and the maintenance of specific building safety features.
Building inspectors should have a working knowledge of the Act.
The objectives of the Act are:
- to protect the safety and health of people who use buildings and places of public entertainment
- to enhance the amenity of buildings
- to promote plumbing practices which protect the safety and health of people, and the integrity of water supply and waste water systems
- to facilitate the adoption and efficient application of national building standards and national plumbing standards
- to facilitate the cost effective construction and maintenance of buildings and plumbing systems
- to facilitate the construction of environmentally and energy efficient buildings; and
- to aid the achievement of an efficient and competitive building and plumbing industry.
You can view a copy of the Act at the Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary Documents website at www.legislation.vic.gov.au